Valentine’s day is a day for love and to exchange sweet treats with one another, even your pet. The treat that you may not want to give your dog today, however, would be chocolate. I know many people know that chocolate is harmful to dogs but do you know what component in the chocolate that makes it so harmful? There is a toxic component of chocolate called theobromine. Humans can break this down fast enough to not cause any effects or toxicity to the body. Dogs, however, break down theobromine at a much slower rate which causes a build-up of the toxic levels in their system. That is why it is so harmful to them especially in large amounts. So be safe this Valentine’s Day, and keep the chocolate to yourself!
Feb 14 2017